An allergen is a harmless substance that causes allergic reaction. Nasal allergy is the inflammatory condition inside the nose caused by allergens present in the air which causes discomfort. Allergic rhinitis, or hay fever, is an allergic response to specific allergens.
Nasal allergies are frequently triggered by allergens like:
- Pollen from grass, flowers, ragweed, or trees
- Animal dander
- Foods (for infants)
Symptoms Of Nasal Allergies:
People with nasal allergies often suffer with mild symptoms that can be easily treated. But, some symptoms can be severe and persistent, causing sleep problems and interfering with every day life.
Generally nasal allergies result in cold-like symptoms, such as:
- A runny or a stuffy nose
- An itchy nose
- A sore or scratchy throat
- tchy and watery eyes
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Frequent headaches
- Eczema-type symptoms like extremely dry, itchy skin that can blister and weep
- Excessive fatigue
In children, nasal allergies can result in other, less common symptoms, such as:
- Sleep apnea
- Difficulty sleeping
- Breathing through the mouth
- Wetting the bed
Diagnosis of nasal allergies
Diagnosis of nasal allergies can be done by:
- Physical examinationof the patient
- History: Physician enquires about the general health condition and other symptoms.
- Nasal smears: Nasal secretions are examined under the microscope
- Allergy testing:Sometimes, nasal allergies can be confirmed when medical treatment starts. If the patient responds well to antihistamines, it is positive that the symptoms are caused by an allergy. But, when the cause of allergy is not clear, physicians may suggest allergy tests. Most often the following two tests are advised to diagnose nasal allergies, such as:
- Skin prick tests: oIt is performed by placing the allergen on your arm and then the surface of the skin is pricked with a needle to introduce the allergen to your immune system. If the person is allergic to the substance, a small itchy spot will appear.
- Blood tests: Our body produces immunoglobulin E (IgE) antibodies in response to a suspected allergen. So, blood test is done to measure the level of antibodies in blood.
- Other diagnostic tests: a.The following tests are required to check for other complications like nasal polyps and sinusitis.
- A nasal endoscopy: A thin tube with a light source and video camera at one end (endoscope) is inserted into your nose to view any problems in the nose.
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan: This is a scan which uses X-rays for detailed pictures of the nose anatomy.
Medications:Nasal allergies which are mild and strike only for few weeks in a year, can be treated with over-the-counter drugs like steroid nasal sprays, antihistamines and decongestants. If the OTC drugs are not effective, then prescriptions drugs may be used as advised by the physician.
Control the underlying cause:
Avoid allergens: If the allergen is known it can be prevented by avoiding coming into contact with them.
Try home remedies: Use of nasal sprays, local honey, HEPA filters, herbs and supplements, inhaling steam and eucalyptus oil, may help in relieving the symptoms of nasal allergies.
Immunotherapy:While other treatments for allergic rhinitis are a temporary solution, immunotherapy given in the form of allergy shots or oral tablets or drops can be a genuine cure. This works by regularly exposing you to tiny amounts of an allergen, so that your body slowly becomes used to it. Eventually, even large amounts will not provoke an allergic reaction. Allergy shots are effective in almost 85% to 90% of people.
Why BSR Hospital?
BSR ENT Hospital is a renowned ENT (ear, nose, and throat) hospital located in Hyderabad and Secunderabad with full-time otolaryngologists. BSR staffs the best ENT specialists like Dr. B. Shanker Rao, MS, DLO, FICS and Dr. B. Kalyan Chakravarthy, MS ENT / Head and Neck Surgeon, who are highly qualified with extensive knowledge and experience in addressing ENT problems.
Our ENT physicians are specialists in using minimally invasive surgery and advanced techniques facilitating the quickest and safest post-op recovery. The diagnosis and treatment are quick as the hospital is equipped with an in-house laboratory for diagnostic tests.
We are patient-friendly team who are compassionate and ensure patient safety and comfort at all times, offering treatment at affordable price. BSR Hospital is located in the heart of the city with convenient to access.